Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Car History

I have been doing some work on tracing my car's history. I found a couple of previous owners, using some documents that I found in the car. Here is what I have pieced together to date -

Ownership History

o Marcus R. Johnson, South Bend, IN - ? to October 1978

o Jesse Huggins, Jr – had it a few days, sold it to R McDaniel – lived in

Hartford City, IN – now winters in Florida

o Richard A. McDaniel, Marion, IN - October 1978 to 1980 – paid $600

o ???, Lafayette, IN (1980 to ???)

o British Motorcar Sales, Greenville, SC (Archie) - January 1999 to July 1999

o Brad Barkley, Frostburg, MD - July 1999 to May 2000 - Paid $2000

o Stephen King, Plano, Texas - May 2000 to August 2000 - Paid $800

o Dan DiBiase, purchased August 19, 2000 - Paid $650

Other Information

5/2/2001 – Spoke with Archie at British Motorcar Sales - engine was seized when he bought it, from non-use, in his opinion. He did no work on it - how it is now is how he bought it.

1/28/2005 - Saw a ’65 car advertised on eBay (item # 4522107202) - it is chassis # 54298, with engine # GB-U-H 6897. Assuming the engine numbers were sequential, and that this car has the original engine (which it appears to have) then my engine number should be around 2442.

10/26/2005 – Sent a letter to Richard McDaniel

10/31/2005 – Rick McDaniel responded via e-mail -

Dan, It was quit a surprise to receive your letter concerning the MGB. It does appear that your roadster was owned by me. I'm afraid I can't be much help but I might be able to fill in a few holes. My wife and I bought the car in October of 1978. We bought the car as a 1966. That appears to be what the title says. We kept it for about 2 years. It was red the with a black top. The body was fairly decent shape, top not too great. Can't give you any information on the Marcus Johnson in South Bend as I never met the man. I bought it through a friend of mine at that time. He was kind of trading in them and he only had it for a few days, never titled it in his name. I would imagine he bought it through the Trader newspaper. His name is Jesse Huggins Jr. from Hartford City In. I believe he has retired now and winters in Fla. I am sure he wouldn't remember as much as I do. As to why the car doesn't have the right motor I can probably answer that. When I bought the car (I think I gave $600 for it) the motor had a wrist pin hammering We had every intention of freshing up the motor up but never did ...It just kept hammering. It was the original motor with twin Webers etc. On top of that, the transmission had synchronizer probs. Plus I had the usual Lucas starter and charging probs. I didn't have storage room inside for it and we quit driving it, so the top got in really bad shape. About 1980 we got tired of it sitting around rusting so we advertised it in the Trader newspaper for $200. We sold it to a man from Lafayette In. (sorry I don't remember his name). He said he had several of them and was going to restore it. It's obvious he didn't since the title trail ends after me. I would assume he replaced the engine and the original is probably long gone. The last we saw or heard of the car was in about 1980 when it left our driveway on a trailer. How it got to New Jersey is beyond our wildest dreams. Sorry I couldn't be of anymore help, but it is nice to know that the old car still lives as I have been a steet rodder and racer for years and I hate to see any old sheet metal destroyed.

11/4/2005 – Sent letter to Jesse Huggins. Also tried to find British Motorcar Sales in

Greenville but no listing! Sent an e-mail to Hap Waldron at another British

shop in Greenville to see if he knows what happened to them.

Hap responded as follows:

Yes, that would be Archie Olgesby,  he moved away from here about 6 months ago, had some 
tubs lying around on his property and ask me to come look at them, was just 
rust, I walked away.  I hear he is in Virginia now.
Sent e-mails to 4 shops in Virginia. 
11/16/2005 – Heard back from 1 shop, no idea about Archie. I may try local British car clubs. 
5/12/2006 – Sent letter to Marcus R Johnson,  Indianapolis, IN 46260 
5/30/2006 – Dang, Johnson letter returned – “Addressee Unknown”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home